Sunday, August 13, 2006

Calamity Jane Does Hainburg

Admirably, my sister Judi can build furniture, rewire houses, even chop down trees when she needs to. She's 100 percent girl, but just has a built-in self-sufficiency that I've always envied.
I thought of her today when I climbed up onto my roof--a bowsaw in one hand, pruner in the other--to clear branches that were dangerously overhanging the chimney. And more importantly, interrupting my satellite tv.
I mightily cut all the branches down. Was damn proud of myself and my little act of self-sufficience.
Judi can stop reading now while I let the rest of you in on a little secret. When I was ready to make my way back down the ladder, I had to call a friend on my cell phone (of COURSE I took it onto the roof with me!) to come rescue me--I'm terrified of heights and the wet, moss-covered roof was certainly uncooperative, at best.

2 comments:

The Mater said...

I loved this post! Saluting your spunk and commiserating about the need for assistance on the way down.

I climbed my first mountain(s) about four years ago and the trail guide reminded us to be mindful of what we were doing. "Go up with a song; come down with dignity."

He told us this on the second day's outing, after I had taken a bad fall on the way down the day before :>) I was the lesson du jour.

Patti McCracken said...

I'm absolutely terrified of heights of any kind. I just get absolutely stricken. I have no idea what I was thinking, getting myself up on that roof. Of course, once up there, all I could think of was my Uncle Bobby, who slid off a roof and ended up in a broken heap on the lawn.

Like what the tour guide said!!! I'll have to remember that the next time I DON'T ascend anything.
No dignity for me as a inched down the ladder butt first.