Monday, January 05, 2009

Slovakian Mobsters

The first few times I traveled to Bratislava in the mid 1990s,(when I was living in Chicago) mob hits were carried out while I was there. One allegedly went down directly in front of the Danube "Botel" I was staying in, while I was staying there. My coworker and I remember hearing the shots, although that could be our memories filling in gaps. We did cross police lines to exit the hotel in the morning.
At the time, the fight seemed to be over control of the bars and nightclubs that were popping up in the downtown area, which was in a state of renewal after decades of communism. The type of violence seemed antithetical to the appearance of this slow moving city.

But according to this recent Chicago Tribune article, the mob has taken hold. Big time.

No comments: